Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday Salon-June 27, 2010

The Sunday Salon.com
Webster is my main concern today as he is still not doing well. Thanks for all your well wishes and prayers. It helps more than you know. I can't really leave him because he needs help on stairs and getting up and down. I don't think the steroids are helping. He doesn't seem better to me and stresses too much. I am hopeful and praying this works.

Since I will be home, I will be reading a bit.

I started reading The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende. I picked up my copy of this book at a Scholastic Book Warehouse sale. The publisher is Firdbird (Penguin), 2005. The copyright is 1979 so I'm surprised I never heard of this book. It is a fantasy, and from what I can tell so far...a very good one.

From the back cover:
Bastian Balthazar Bux is shy, awkward, and certainly not heroic. His only escape is reading books. When Bastian happens upon an old book called The Neverending Story, he's swept into the magical world of Fantastica-so much that he finds he has actually become a character in the story! And when he realizes that this mysteriously enchanted world is in great danger, he also discovers that he has been the one chosen to save it. Can Bastian overcome the barrier between reality and his imagination in order to save Fantastica?

So far, I really like the writing-it draws me in. Has anyone read this? If so, let me know what you think.

This week I finished A Fierce Radiance, by Lauren Belfer. Don't miss this marvelous historical fiction medical mystery. I've posted my review separately.

I also started reading:

-A memoir from Early Reviewers called, An Eagle Named Freedom: My True Story of a Remarkable Friendship by Jeff Guidry.

Lastly, I need to finish a review for Original Sins, by Peg Kingman. This will be published before I post it to my blog so I can only tell you...it is super! It is about slavery and freedom-intricate story line. Really remarkable second novel. Her first novel Not Yet Drown'd was set in Scotland and India. Did anyone read it?

Have a super Sunday and enjoy whatever you are reading.

2 comments:

Ti said...

Poor Web. I hope he feels better soon. Just try to keep him as comfortable as possible, which I am sure you are doing. Stress can tire an animal out quickly.

wisteria said...

I am trying to be optimistic, but it is not looking good.