This picture was taken in 1899 of a mail carrier on a rural route. I thought it was funny to read that they carried a whistle to let owners know they had mail since many people lived some distance away. The carrier gave them a "heads up". They were paid $400 per year with the horse, however tolls and ferry crossings were extra.
In my mailbox this week I received
1) The Shipwreck of a Nation, by Nennhaus
2) Jantsen's Gift, Pam Cope
3) After You're Gone, Jeffrey Lent
4) The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine Howe
5) The Whittaker Family Reunion, Shirley A. Roe
6) The Glenn Miller Conspiracy, Hunton Downs
7) A Lucky Child, Thomas Buegenthal
8) Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
9) Dracula, Bram Stoker
I'm so grateful for all the reading and that I have Spring from teaching in 3 days.