Friday, December 25, 2009

Devil's Cub-Georgette Heyer

Devil’s Cub by Georgette Heyer
Sourcebooks Inc.
Published 12/09, c. 1932,310 pages
978-1-4022-1953-5

From the Cover....
“Dominic Alistair, Marquis of Vidal and fiery son of the notorious Duke of Avon, has established a rakish reputation that rivals his father’s, living a life of excess and indulgence. Banished to the Continent after wounding his opponent in a duel, Vidal schemes to abduct the silly aristocrat bent on seducing him into marriage and makes her his mistress instead. In his rush, however, he seems to have taken the wrong woman....”




Instead of Sophia Challoner, the Marquis is dumbfounded to find he has abducted her sister, less beautiful, but intricately more clever. The plan to deceive the Marquis in order to spare her sister’s ruin backfires on Mary. His temper is legend, and he is enraged by the pretense. Instead of letting her go as she expects, he takes her on board the Albatross as his captive. When he realizes that Mary is a woman of honor and rectitude, his compunction for licentious intentions abruptly end. The story continues with a surprising direction as the Marquis tries to rectify Mary’s ill conceived plan.

The story centers around the family of the Duke and Duchess of Avon, and their son the Marquis of Vidal. He is a source of challenge and concern, and his exploits keep them on their nobel toes. The story contains a complicated family tree of characters who intersect to create an exciting, funny and romantic plot. I loved this Heyer novel. There is quick adroitly executed humor that flows easily in the dialogue. You can visualize this novel as if it were a play performed live. The personalities of the characters as so precise. I recently read No Wind of Blame, a Heyer mystery, and I much prefer her romantic novel genre. I highly recommend this deliciously engaging and fun read.

Thanks to Danielle at Sourcebooks for providing this review copy.

5 comments:

Iliana said...

I've become quite the fan of Georgette Heyer so this one is going on my list :)

Wanted to drop in and wish you a wonderful holiday, Wisteria! Hope you are doing great.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I don't think I could do Georgette Heyer although I enjoyed your review!

I too am dropping in to say Merry Christmas to you and your babies!!!!

Ladytink_534 said...

I plan on trying one of her books sometime in 2010. Everyone seems to enjoy them so much!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've been seeing so much Georgette Heyer on various blogs -- I must add her to my TBR /wish list. Thanks for this one.

The Bookworm said...

Glad you enjoyed this one, i'm reading it now myself :)
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/