Thursday, September 9, 2010

It's All About Children Thursday-Aldo Zelnick Comic Novels


This week I received in my mailbox from Independent Publishers Group two books that I immediately sat down to read. As I've said before, I usually won't stop everything, stop reading the book I'm involved in to read something that just arrived. These two books screamed "Read me, please!" So, I did. Comparisons will be made to the Diary of a Whimpy Kid series, and I can see why from the format. However, they are different and Aldo (rhymes with Waldo) Zelnick is sure to cause a stir in YA hearts.



Aldo Zelnick Comic Novel
Artsy-Fartsy
Written by Karla Oceanak
Illustrated by Kendra Spanjer
Bailiwick Press
978-1934649053
Ages 9-12
162 pages
humor, graphic novel, magic, family, friendship, mystery




Aldo Zelnick loves to draw, and his eccentric grandmother Goosy is an artist who gives him a sketchbook as a gift to start off his summer vacation.
The first book is called Artsy-Fartsy, followed by Bogus. You might imagine distasteful language, but not so. Aldo records his life, his friends, family, pets and his somewhat unusual neighbor, Mt. Mot. He's ancient.* and of course Goosey, his grandmother.




Bogus (book 2)
978-1934649066

What I love about each book is Aldo's self generated glossary of difficult words he selects, places an asterick in the text and then provides the definition in his words at the end. Each book highlights a difference letter onset. For instance, Artsy-Fartsy focuses on all the words starting with A.


For example: Definition of Artsy-Fartsy

artsy-fartsy: artistic, creative. Sometimes when people call someone artsy-faartsy, they mean he or she is trying to show off by being artistic. But Goosy told me she thinks artsy-fartsy just means being creative and having fun with it.

*ancient: 50 years old or older


The collaboration between Karla Oceanak and Kendra Spanjer is delightfully entertaining. These are so much fun to read and the illustrations are a riot, providing chuckle time. Hope you check them out. I'm sure this will be an A-Z popular hit in my media center. I can see teaching dictionary skills has just been made easier.


© [Wisteria Leigh] and [Bookworm's Dinner], [2010].

Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to [Wisteria Leigh] and [Bookworm's Dinner] with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments: