Monday, February 9, 2009

Mailbox Monday

It was another fun week arriving home to discover treasures lying at my doorstep or at times in the mailbox. I have to give PROPS to the FedEx, UPS and USPS drivers for their patience and will to sludge through the snow and ice to get to my door. Even though there is a path and sand, sometimes they prefer to take that shortcut across the lawn. Here's to you. They are always so curious about my packages. I had one neighbor so curious, he finally asked me what I was getting in the mail all the time. Now honestly, I would never have the nerve to blatantly babble on about another person's personal deliveries. Would you? Do you have a funny story?

Here is what arrived this week in my mailbox:

1. The World in Half by Christina Henrique
2. The Suburban Dragon by Garasamo Maccagnone
3. The Age of Orphans by Laleh Khadivi
4. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
5. Secrets Unveiled by Sheshesna Pedger


...and then I received nine free books for an American History class I am taking. These are all part of a grant that our district applied for and won. I'll let you know each week which book I have to read. Yes, one book a week and they are rather challenging reads.

This week the book is:

William Cooper's Town by Alan Taylor, 549 pages. (427 text)

This Pulitzer Prize winning history about William Cooper and Early American life in the late 1700s is informative and at times remarkably humorous. Can you picture chuckling as you read a history book? Taylor makes our founding fathers real, not polyester clones of perfection. The story is about William Cooper's development and the settlement of Cooperstown. It shows his ubiquitous frenetic desire to gain acceptance into the social stratus of gentility at nearly all costs. James Fenimore Cooper's (his son)wrote the book The Pioneers, a novel where he used Cooperstown and its inhabitants as models for the story. Taylor combines both historical snippets and references to his son's novel throughout the book creating a wonderful historical narrative worthy of the Pulitzer it won.

What was in your mailbox? Does anyone want to know?

3 comments:

The Bookworm said...

enjoy the books wisteria :)
very cool that you got 9 free ones. The William Cooper book does sound interesting.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

bermudaonion said...

I"m hoping to get Wintergirls, too.

wisteria said...

Naida...The books are for AHistory class the Cooper one was a Pulitzer Prize winner. I will have a review on it. 2/3 was good...1/3 a wordy.

Bermudaonion...I loved Chains..so I hope Wintergirls will be as good.