Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday Salon-Looking for Winners!

The Sunday Salon.com

Good morning everyone. I hope you are enjoying your weekend and the weather is great too!

My reading this week has been mostly devoted to my Civil War grad course. I'm plodding through Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson. This is a comprehensive and lengthy non-fiction book, considered to be one of the best general studies of the Civil War.


I have to say it does read more like a novel than a fact by fact discourse. The size is daunting at 900+ pages, but one would expect no less with this complex subject. McPherson won the Pulitzer Prize for this book, so if you are looking for a book to learn more about the Civil War, try Battle Cry of Freedom.

Winners of Testimony-I need addresses from you.

The following bloggers won a copy of Testimony, but I have not received your address.
They are:
Naida: (I probably had yours once, but don't anymore)
The Book Resort
liana 66
Tiffany 819
Anita Yancey

Winners of Born in the USA I also need your addresses.
Carlene-----I have yours
The Book Resort
scottsgal
jemscot 425
Brooke

Please send your address to the email address on my blog so that I can have Hachette send you our book. :) If you don't want the book any longer, would you please let me know? I want to make sure you get your book, but I will have to chose other winners after June 13th if I don't here from you. Thanks....Wisteria

With summer's sun trying to peak past spring's rain, many of us are getting ready for a time of summer reading fun. I know I can't wait! Where is your special reading place? Do you have a special time to read? What books are you looking forward to reading this summer? Let me know what you are reading.

Have a great week!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read Battle Cry of Freedom a long time ago so I don't remember it specifically, but I do remember that every book I've read by McPherson has read more like a novel than a nonfiction book. He's great! It's lucky to have him if you have to have a 900 page book to read! :--)

Carlene said...

Wow - I am so excited. Thanks for the great contest.
Carlene

Valorie said...

I read Battle Cry of Freedom years ago as an undergrad when I took a GREAT class on the Civil War and Reconstruction. It really is a good book and I still have and cherish my copy.

Valorie
morbidromantic@gmail.com

The Bookworm said...

Enjoy your Sunday Wisteria ;O)
Battle Cry of Freedom sounds interesting for history buffs.

I'll email you my addy, thanks!

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Darlene said...

I've never read Battle Cry of Freedom but books on the war do interest me. 900 pages though-that's a bit to plough through. Have a great week.

The Book Resort said...

Good Luck w/ your grad tome ; }.

Literary Feline said...

Hi, Donna! I will have to recommend Battle Cry of Freedom to my husband. He is really into Civil War history.

Congratulations to the winners in your giveaway!

This summer I am hoping to fit in a little more reading since the regular tv season isn't there to distract me. :-) I'm reading a really good right now called Last Night in Montreal.

wisteria said...

Hi All..
Rhapsody..so far I love his book. It is long but well worth the effort. McPherson is supposed to be the guru of the Civil War.
Valorie...thanks...good to know the rest of it is going to be as good.
Naida...history buffs will love it. Thanks for dropping by.
Dar..If you are going to read about the Civil War..non-fiction, this would be the one.
Book Resort..Thanks for the cheering on. LOL
Lit.Feline..I wrote to you via email. :-)