Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Salon-Gettysbury Trip

The Sunday Salon.com

I have been counting the days for my trip to Gettysburg, and tomorrow morning I will be on my way with my grad class for a three day trip. The last time I visited Gettysburg I was about nine and had no idea what was really so special about this historical landscape. I've finished reading Battle Cry of Freedom, by James McPherson which I highly recommend for anyone who wants to read one of the best books out there on the Civil War. Not to mention it won a Pulitzer Prize.

Nearly 7,000 soldiers were killed at Gettysburg, over 33,000 were wounded. Such staggering figures are hard to imagine. Over 600,000 men were killed in the Civil War and hundreds of thousands were injured. (The Civil War Handbook, by Mark Hughes)

So, I thought it was fitting today to insert a copy of Lincoln's eloquent speech delivered at the dedication of the Gettysburg Battlefield National Cemetery on November 19, 1863. This image was taken from the scribed on the wall of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. It is taken from the Library of Congress website at: The Gettysburg Address (Library of Congress Exhibition).

Click to view readable image.

See you when I get back. Unless I post from Gettysburg.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see pictures from when you return! I hope you have as much fun as you anticipate!

Frances said...

What a great reminder about not losing perspective about history. I am sure you will have a great experience on your trip! Also appreciate your link to LoC source. Such a wealth of info they hold. I can spend tons of time just browsing on their site.

Today I am reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Happy reading!

Eva said...

Enjoy Gettysburg! My mom and I spent a day touring the battlefield when I was 17; we're both history junkies, so we loved it. :D

Literary Feline said...

You are going to have so much fun at Gettysburg, I just know it! Have a great time, Donna. Enjoy your week!

Meghan said...

Sounds like a great trip. I can't help but feel that I'd be really moved on that battlefield. I love history and I bet that's one of the places where it comes alive.

serendipity_viv said...

I hope you have a great time. Look forward to the pictures. It is fabulous to visit somewhere that has such history and meaning.

Anonymous said...

What a great place to take a trip. I hope you enjoy every moment and take lots of photos to post!

I've given you an award. Please stop by and pick it up HERE

Darlene said...

Have a great trip. I can't wait to see some pictures.

Marie Cloutier said...

Hope you have a great time! :-)

The Bookworm said...

I hope you have a great trip!! Lincoln wrote some amazing speeches.

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Mark Hughes said...

I hope you enjoy your trip to Gettysburg. The last time I went I was researching one of my books about Civil War cemeteries. I will be there the first week of August autographing copies of The New Civil War Handbook. (Thanks for purchasing it.)

Mark Hughes

http://www.civilwarhandbook.com/cms/

The Book Resort said...

Looking forward to all your photos :].