Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Salon-June 14, 2009-Flag Day

The Sunday Salon.com



Yea!! It's Flag Day and also the beginning of Flag Week!! Americans celebrate this day every year, but I wonder how many of us now the history. Here is an excerpt from President Obama's Proclamation dated June 11th, 2009.



In the midst of a war for our Nation's independence, on June 14, 1777, the Second Continental Congress adopted a flag as a symbol of our fledgling Union. The Congress resolved that the flag be "thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation." For generations to come, this pattern would serve as a compass bearing toward equality and justice for all.

Our flag's journey has been long. It has seen our Nation through war and peace, triumph and tragedy. It flew above the walls of Fort Sumter, South Carolina, at the outset of the Civil War. It stood on Mount Suribachi on the island of Iwo Jima during World War II. During the Civil Rights Movement, determined protesters on the streets of Selma, Alabama, proudly displayed its colors. Following the attacks of September 11, 2001, Old Glory flew over the southwestern wall of the Pentagon and the rubble of the World Trade Center. Today, the men and women of the United States Armed Forces bear our flag as they serve bravely around the world. Entire Proclamation


As a way to celebrate, the proclamation states:
....and I urge all Americans to observe Flag Day and National Flag Week by flying the Stars and Stripes at their homes and other suitable places. ....celebrate our heritage in public gatherings and activities, and recite publicly the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.


I hope you all have a fabulous Flag Day! I am celebrating mine by reading a great book called Scottsboro by Ellen Feldman. I received it as an ARC from the ER program on Library Thing. I started yesterday and have been so impressed with the author's writing, I put everything else on hold. If I could have stayed awake I would have read it all last night. It's a rare find believe me. I'll have a review by next week.

Happy Flag Day!!



6 comments:

Ti said...

Thanks for posting about Flag Day. I have been seeing flags all over and had no idea it was a holiday!

wisteria said...

Oh you are too funny. I only know because when I was in elementary school it was a HUGE deal. Also, I have a special niece born on that day. :)

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

What a great post! My dad, a Marine, flies his flag religiously every day at his home and it's become somewhat of a tradition in his neighborhood. When he and my mom travel to Ohio for the summer months, his neighbors are always glad to see the flag flying when he returns. They tease that they can set their clocks by my dad. Happy Flag Day!

serendipity_viv said...

How interesting. Happy Flag day to you!

Literate Housewife said...

Thanks so much for highlighting Flag Day. I had no idea about it's history. Very interesting. Stars and Stripes forever!

The Book Resort said...

Wisteria,thank you. Hope yours was fun.