Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Salon, January 24, 2010

The Sunday Salon.com


I hope everyone had a great week and has fun plans for this Sunday. I have been worried about Mystery, but did manage to get to finish Jantsen's Gift by Pam Cope. This is an incredibly inspiring read. I will have a review out shortly.

I did not finish The Book of Fires by Jane Borodale, a huge disappointment. In all fairness, I am going to try and pick it up again, but I just couldn't concentrate on the story. The writing is vivid with minute details that capture each moment. Maybe their is just too much detail. Perhaps it is my stress over Mystery's problems that makes my comprehension difficult. My metacognition was drifting away as I would read entire pages and then say, "What did I just read.?" Then I would re-read passages over and over. Have you had any book like that recently? I just so wanted to like this book. The advance reviews are so positive, even as much as comparing her writing to Sara Waters. Well, hearing that as a huge Sara Waters fan, I wanted to read it. Has anyone read this yet? I am curious to hear your feedback.




It's been another pins and needles week for my furgirl Mystery. She had another seizure on Monday. Thankfully, I was home with it being a holiday. At first, judging from the symptoms my vet thought it was Anaplasmosis (tick disease). Her plalette count was really low and this time her seizure was longer. She was unable to walk straight for more than an hour, like she had had one too many martinis. On Friday, after feeding her heavy doses of antibiotics all week my vet called to say her tests were negative for any tick disease. So, back to square one, Mystery's seizures are true to her name, a mystery. Please continue to send her your healing energy so that my little girl gets better. Here she is today, looking like nothing is wrong at all.



Today I am going to be reading more of Island of Swans by CIJI Ware. I started this yesterday and can't put it down. It's a romantic historical fiction novel based on Jane Maxwell, the 4th Duchess of Gordon. She marries the Duke of Gordon, thinking her childhood love has died. She is faced with an unthinkable shock when she learns that her first love, Thomas is alive, yet now she is married to Alexander, Duck of Gordon. Stay tuned, this book of 592 pages is so fun to read I am trying to savor it, but I am too anxious to stop.

Hope you enjoy your Sunday. :)

9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh poor Mystery! I hope they figure it out soon, so she can get some help.

Trisha said...

Good luck with Mystery. Not knowing is the worst.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

So sorry about poor Mystery, I hope they figure out what is causing the seizures :(

I was sorry to here Book of Fires was a disappointment as I know I read one great review this week. I was hoping it would be a home run???

Have a great week.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow! I experienced very similar things this week with a book I was reading...I, too, had to keep rereading passages, because everything seemed to slip on by. A lot of back and forth in time and details...plus my own distractions with other things!

My Salon is here:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/01/sunday-salon_24.html

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Thanks for the update! Poor baby! She looks so sweet in those pictures!

Ti said...

I sure hope they figure out what's wrong. What type of dog is she? I'm not at all good with breeds but my in laws had two Italian Greyhounds and they had seizures all the time and the vet said it was inherent to the breed. Does she fall into that breed or something like it?

They had to give their dogs anti-seizure meds.

Alice said...

Get well soon, Mystery! I sure hope your furgirl feels better soon.

I'm looking forward to your Jantsen's Gift review. :)

The Bookworm said...

is Mystery feeling better?
when i've got too much on my mind I cant focus on reading either.

Island of Swans does sound great.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

wisteria said...

To all of you that asked about Mystery..thank you so much for your concern. She has taken to sleeping with me at night displacing my two cats. She is very unsettled and seems to be uncomfortable. She whines a lot and I am worried about her. She just isn't herself. I think she had a seizure yesterday because she slept all day and into the night without moving much. Thank you, thank you for thinking about her and wishing her well. You don't know what that means to me. :)