Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday Salon, January 10, 2010

The Sunday Salon.com

This has been a stressful week and an even more stressful 24 hours. Mystery, my youngest greyhound has been sick and I had her at the veterinarian this week. She hasn't been herself. Yesterday afternoon I came home to feed my four and let them out. Once settled down, I picked up the book I was reading, Breakfast in Bed, a hot romance. I am trying to finish this one for a review I owe for Sourcebook.

All of a sudden Mystery was clawing the floor and couldn't stand up. She was having a seizure. It was awful and the fear in her eyes was enough to make me panic, but I knew I had to remain focused. Her heart was racing and she couldn't stand up, she didn't know where she was. I'm not so sure she even knew who I was.

After calling my vet, then the emergency hospital in Katonah (one hour away) they needed to see her. I scrambled to get her into the car...by lifting 65lbs of greyhound. I was fortunate to have my two great friends who I just left in the area offer to drive. I don't know what I would have done without them, I was frazzled.

We were at the hospital for 4 hours and after numerous tests and exams, at this moment the cause is still unknown, with any number of possibilities. They wanted to keep her 24hours, but since I have Sunday off, she is by my side right now. She made it through the night, and is still sleeping. She may have a seizure disorder, it may be an isolated incident, it may be something we won't talk about right now. I'm hoping it will go away. The people at Katonah Hospital in New York were amazing and I can't thank them enough. They really treat the patient and owners with respect and dignity with sincere empathetic eagerness to help.

Hoping you can all send some special white light to my girl Mystery to help her get better. She is a little pistol, my alpha of the pack and is normally the spit-fire, 45mph couch potato that rules her brothers and torments the kitties. Even Owen Beanie, her arch nemesis, knew something was really wrong, he began howling a plaintive moan when Mystery was stricken. He just knew.

My reading has been way off this week. I will be finishing this rather uncharacteristic book for me, Breakfast in Bed. Probably, at this point it is better I am not reading anything emotionally draining, so this works.


I will be starting Eternal on the Water,by Joseph Monninger, which is a First Look Book Club selection due up for discussion this week at Barnes and Noble.

Have a great week everyone!

11 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh, poor Mystery! I can only imagine what you're going through. Our dog is 14 now and she is our baby and I'm sure I'll freak out when she starts having problems.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

OMG...Thus sounds like a scary ordeal indeed. Sending positive vibes your way for Mystery to be back to normal soon.

Thanks for the sweet comments on my Sunday Salon post :)

rhapsodyinbooks said...

How horrible! Mystery is my favorite! Poor little baby! I hope it turns out okay. I'll be sending vibes of hope and love for her! Keep us posted!

scottsgal said...

My old hound Louie who looked like your Mystery, black with the grey muzzle had 5 or 6 over his life. In fact once during the night he had one and fell down the stairs and put his head through the wall at the end of the stairway landing. Scared the heck out of everyone. Just keep Mystery calm, it used to a good 30 minutes for Louie to get his bearings, he'd pant really hard, usually lose his bladder, shake - very scary but since they were so isolated my vet didn't put him on medication. Poor thing - hope Mystery is feeling better soon.

DCMetroreader said...

Sending positive thoughts regarding your beautiful Mystery! I can fully relate to what you're going through b/c I have been through more vet emergencies than I care to recall. Hang in there!

Alyce said...

I hope that your beautiful dog is feeling better soon! My in-laws have a dog who used to have seizures. He had them off and on for about three years and then they went away. They still have no idea why they came and went. I know that they can be scary though.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, you have had a difficult week! I'm curious about "Breakfast in Bed." Sounds like something I'd like after the rather "heavy" books I read this week!

My salon is here:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/01/sunday-salon_10.html

Sandy Jay said...

OMG, how scary for both you and Mystery! I hope she'll be fine real soon. Prayers and hugs to both of you.

Darlene said...

Oh no, how scary! I'll be thinking healing and good thoughts for Mystery. It's awful when our furkids are sick. Those of us with dogs know they're such a huge part of our families.

Reading is impossible when the furkids are sick. There when Buddy was so sick in Sept/Oct I couldn't concentrate at all.

Get better Mystery! Give her a scratch for me.

Iliana said...

Wisteria that sounds awful. I hope Mystery is feeling better and continues to get well! Hopefully it was just some weird, isolated thing.
Take care of yourself too and yes, reading light stuff might be a good thing right now! Hugs!

wisteria said...

bermudaonion..Thanks for the kind words.

Diane..Thanks for the positive vibes, it helps so much.

rhapsody..Awww. Thanks..I didn't know. She really tugged at the hearts of the vet and techs at the hospital. They loved her. I hated hearing her cry. Awful. She's been sleeping all day.

Scottsgal..It is scary. Thank you for your advice and support. It helps to know someone else who has been there.

dcmetrometer..Thanks for your kindness and support. As you know it is unsettling. Mystery says thanks too!

Alyce..Thanks for sharing the story about your in-laws dog. It helps. Thanks for caring.

Creations. Yes! It has been trying. Thanks for your kind words and support. I'm skimming the pages..and still getting the gist so the book is a no brainer.

Sandy-Jay..Thanks for the prayers and hugs. It helps! She's sleeping and very quiet.

Dar...I'm glad Buddy is ok now. Yes, the furkids can twist you up in knots. My stomach is upside down. To top it off one of the other greyhounds, brother is getting sick. I think he is worried about her. They are closest. I will scritch/scratch her ears. :)

Iliana..Thank you for your kindness and encouragement. She has been sleeping all day. I won't leave the house, but have school tomorrow. I'm cautiously worried.