Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Salon-Windy, Snowy and Cold

The Sunday Salon.com

I am sitting here looking outside at my bird feeder, a constant source of delight for what seems to be an infinite parade of winter frequent fliers who are waiting in a holding pattern to land. No joke!! I think the entire neighborhood flock has descended upon my front porch for food. Owen Beanie (one cat) is loving the view as he salivates, clicks and grinds his teeth, flicks his tail back and forth while dreaming of a potential dinner. NOT! There are a variety of birds, woodpeckers, nut-hatchers, blue jays, chickadees and others I can't remember their names who stop by. It is cold, very cold outside and the wind chill makes it feel below zero today. The snow is continuous sometimes steady, sometimes swirling about without a destination. I love the snow, more so when I'm inside with a good book, or knitting rather than shoveling the driveway.

Today is the last day of my vacation from school and I go back to teaching the kids tomorrow. It has been a great break to rest, reflect and regenerate. I have read some good books, The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters really took me by surprise. I didn't read the summary before, so I was quite surprised by the ghostly mystery I encountered. I might not have read this book otherwise, so I'm glad I didn't know about it ahead of time. How about you? Have you ever read a book without reading the summary first?

In true Sunday Salon fashion, today I am finishing the book The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan. This is another fine read..tearful at times, but I have about one third left. I'll post a review this week.

I hope everyone has had a great holiday season. I am so grateful to have you as friends. Peace and happiness to you all in the new year.

14 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I hope school goes OK tomorrow. I can't believe we are into the New Year already.

Eva said...

I try to avoid the summaries of books whenever possible; I've found that when I know nothing about a book, I'm often delighted by it! :) I didn't know anything about my first Sarah Waters book-Tipping the Velvet-and it blew me away.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Have a wonderful last day of vacation!!!

wisteria said...

Vivienne...Thanks! I know, I can't believe it either.
Eva..I have to read Tipping the Velvet next. Glad to hear you were blown away.
Jill..Thanks..Happy Sunday!

Kara said...

I can't believe school is starting back again either (neither can the kids...LOL).

Your review of The Little Stranger has hooked me and I want to read this one ...moving it to the top of my TBR pile!!!

Take care and have a great last day of vacation.

Literary Feline said...

Oh! I wish I was there to watch the birds flock to your bird feeder too. My cats enjoy sitting in the window and watching the birds. I love it when they call out to the birds with their own chirps.

I am glad you had a nice break, Wisteria. I look forward to reading your thoughts on The Day the Falls Stood Still. I have that one in my TBR collection and am looking forward to it.

Because I choose books to read based on what they are about, I rarely read a book without reading the synopsis on the cover or inside flap. In the instances that I do not read it, it's usually because its by an author I like and I have a good idea already what the book is about.

I hope you have a great week and a very Happy New Year.

Meghan said...

I always read books without checking out their summaries first. It depends whether or not they come highly recommended. I like to know very little about a book before I get involved!

Happy new year Wisteria!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I really enjoyed the Day the Falls Stood Still and have heard wonderful things about Little Stranger (which I hope to acquire soon).

I see the birds and birdfeeder --did they eat all the food, it looks empty ? LOL

wisteria said...

Kara...
This vacation did fly by, but then again time off always seems to. I'm happy you'll read The Little Stranger. Let me know what you think. :)

Literary...I filled the bird feeder two times today. These are really hungry birds. LOL I just finished The Day the Falls Stood Still and I am still crying. I usually check the summaries when I buy the book myself, but this one missed me because I was just so eager to read another Sarah Waters story.

Meghan-Sometimes I think it is fun to be surprised. I usually have some idea about the book, genre etc, but I don't like to read the jacket flap.

Diane...I am still crying. I just finished The Day the Falls Stood Still. OMG!!!
Yes, you are correct. I had to fill the feeder after that pic was taken.

Alice said...

Have a good day of work at school!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Ah, those bittersweet moments as a vacation break ends...

What a beautiful sight you had on your porch! Sounds magical!

My Sunday Salon is here:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/01/sunday-salon.html

Ti said...

I have one more day of freedom and I am back to work on Tuesday. It's been wonderful. I am going to miss all of the time with the kids.

wisteria said...

Alice & Laurel...Thanks! Guess what? I woke up to a 90 minute delay. Yippee!!!
That's the best. zzzzzz

Ti- That's great you have one extra day. It must have been so nice having the time with your kids. Enjoy your last day!

Iliana said...

sounds like you had a very nice relaxing break! Hope your first day back went well.

Looking forward to your review of The Day the Falls Stood Still.