Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lady of Hay, by Barbara Erskine


LADY OF HAY

Barbara Erskine
Sourcebooks
978-1402241185
571 pages
$16.99US,
©1986
October 2010









From Sourcebooks Press Release

“With a mesmerizing, wrenching story set both in the present day and the 12th century, Lady of Hay explores how Joanna, a journalist investigating hypnotic regression, plunges into the life of Matilda, Lady of Hay - who lived 800 years earlier. As she learns of Matilda’s unhappy marriage, her love for Richard de Clare, and the brutal treatment she receives from King John, it seems that Jo’s past and present are hopelessly entwined and that, centuries later, a story of secret passion and unspeakable treachery is about to begin again - and she has no choice but to brave both lives if she wants to shake the iron grip of history.”


My Review

Barbara Erskine is a wondrous storyteller. I recently discovered her gifted talent when I became her prisoner of print as I read LADY OF HAY. How this brilliant historical novel slipped by me twenty five years ago when it was first released I will never know. Fortunately, I didn’t miss this new release. Surrounded by a network of book loving bloggers, LADY OF HAY, came highly recommended and I was anxious to pick it up to read. I was told that despite the length of 571 pages, it was definitely a must read. Shortly after that, I was offered this book by Sourcebooks as an Advanced Reader Copy. As I also believe in divine alignment, I quickly accepted this book as a selection.

LADY OF HAY. is one of the richest historical novels I have read this year. I was consumed by the story of Joanna and her tortuous journey to unravel her past. I was captivated by the characters who surround Joanna in this life and what they meant to her when she regresses back and experiences life through Matilda. What was so hard about reading this novel was the frustration of wanting to find out what happened next, yet not wanting the story to end. I could very easily read this book again, it is a rare pleasure to experience. I am eager to select another one of her books to read. A new author to me, Barbara Erskine is now one of my favorite authors.

Disclosure: This was an Advance Reader Copy sent to me by Sourcebooks.


© [Wisteria Leigh] and [Bookworm's Dinner], [2010].

3 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

This definitely sounds like I would like it. Every once in a while I have one of those "devine alignment" experiences also - love when that happens! :--)

serendipity_viv said...

I love Barbara Erskine and I loved this book! I read Time's Legacy last month, her latest book and thought it was fantastic.

Teddyree said...

Lady Of Hay is one of my all time favourite books, I read it many years ago and fell in love with Barbara Erskine's wonderful writing. So glad you loved it!