Saturday, October 8, 2016

Review- A House Without Windows

Share
A House Without Windows
by Nadia SashimiWilliam Morrow (August 16, 2016)
  • ISBN-10: 0062449680
  • ISBN-13: 978-0062449689
  • Hardcover: 432 pages









Wisteria's Review

I must begin by saying that like other reviewers have noted: I also reread many chapters in this exquisite novel centered on the protagonist Zeba, a fiercely strong and unselfishly determined Afghan woman. 

Yusuf, a native Afghan male is a young and eager lawyer. He recently returned to Afghanistan after living with his parents in New York.  Yusuf hears about the case and meets with Zeba at the prison. Yusuf soon discovers to his dismay that Zeba is an uncooperative client. Yet, reluctantly she agrees to his representation in her defense.  However, in order to save Zeba's life he is confronted with the difficult task of uncovering answers, but for now he only has endless questions. 

As the story begins, Zeba a dutiful Afghan wife and mother is found near the lifeless body of her husband. The cause of death an obvious blow to his skull with a hatchet. Naturally, family and friends are horrified by the discovery. Zeba is naturally accused of murder as she is the only one in the yard with him.  She is taken to the woman's prison in Kabul, Chil Mahtab. Her children confused and helpless are whisked away to live with Zeba's husband's family.  


Nadia Hashimi is a masterful storyteller. Be prepared to be entranced with each page by her poetic prose and equally engaging plot that meanders as a  hurricane erratic and unexpected.   As a result, the writer skillfully enhances the readers curiosity. Hashimi obviously knows her novel's direction, but as a reader you have no idea what's about to unfold.  The suspense is relentless. 

Nadia Hashimi is a polished storyteller. I still yearn to reread passages. I still have thoughts regarding Afghan women and their lack of human rights, women's rights and substandard status. I can't help but compare and reflect on this culture's norms.  I cried many times, I ached for Zeba and the other women prisoners whose reasons for imprisonment are inconceivable. to me. 



Woman's rights throughout our country and the world are of great interest and concern to me. For that reason, I read countless books that depict women who suffer and are controlled by the male dominated society where ever they reside.   A HOUSE WITHOUT WINDOWS by Nadia Hashimi is by far  an exceptional novel.  Written with this author's heart, it is an emotionally satisfying and unforgettable read!

This book has melody, harmony and discord beautifully orchestrated from the beginning to its conclusion. I know I won't soon forget this story of Zeba and everyone's inner struggles to gain justice. 




Disclosure: 
I want to thank Lauren Lauzon from William Morrow for providing a copy of this book for my candid unbiased review. 



Other books by Nadia Hashimi
One Half From the East
When the Moon is Low
The Pearl That Broke It's Shell


~ Wisteria Leigh October 2016


2 comments:

App Development Bangalore said...

Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

Buy Contact Lenses Online in India said...

Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.