Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday, February 24, 2010


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme from Bermudaonion, where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun! (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)

I just love this meme so much, I have to join in. For some reason this reminds me of my mom and how she would make me look up new words that I stumbled upon as I read.

Definitions are provided from the Dictionary.com App on my handy i-phone.
All these words came from Etta, by Gerald Kolpan.
  • sartorial-adjective
    1. of or pertaining to tailors or their trade: sartorial workmanship
    2. of or pertaining to clothing or style or manner of dress: sartorial splendor
  • excoriate-verb
    1. to denounce or berate severely; flay verbally
    2. to strip off or remove the skin from: Her palms were excoriated by the hard labor of shoveling.
  • stentorian-adjective
    very loud or powerful in sound: a stentorian voice
I hope you enjoy my picks for Wondrous Words Wednesday. I think my hands are excoriated from shoveling snow too!!!! I just love discovering new and unusual words. Hope you do too. Care to share your words this week? I would like to know what you discovered.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Great words! I sure hope your hands aren't excoriated! Thanks so much for playing along.

Suko said...

Your words are wonderful. Stentorian is my favorite of the three. I also love this meme, and have been participating in it lately.

Here's my latest Wondrous Words Wednesday: http://suko95.blogspot.com/2010/02/wondrous-words-wednesday_24.html

The Bookworm said...

great words, the word excoriate is interesting. To flay verbally, like when telling someone off...lol.

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

LAR1975 said...

Hi! I know I'm late on this, but ... I've run across two interesting words lately that I didn't recognize--Panglossian (from Voltaire's Candide, which I regrettably have not read yet) and saxicolous. I receive the Merriam-Webster word of the day e-mail alerts and got these in the last month or so.

Thanks for the fun blog and Wednesday meme!
Leigh

wisteria said...

Bermuda...Love this meme! Thanks for hosting.
Suko..Thanks they are fun. I visited your blog..thanks for stopping by.
Naida..Yeah..your right!
Lar1975..Both great words..of course I had to look them up because I had no clue. LOL!!Cute pick C-cubed.