Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday Salon-Meet & Greet for the Greyhounds

The Sunday Salon.com

Yesterday, I was helping out at a Meet and Greet for Greyhound Adoption. Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation is a non-profit organization located in the Cross River, NY, dedicated to saving retired greyhound racers. Most of you know I have three and recently lost my dear Webster. In any case, Meet and Greet events provide a perfect opportunity to visit and get to know the breed. Many people have never seen a greyhound up close. These dogs bask in the affection and enjoy all the attention they get at these gatherings. I have never seen an unhappy greyhound here..all happy tail times. :)

Normally, there are ambassa-dogs who are the old pros and have settled in to pet life with new homes. For instance, I took Wizard yesterday and he was there to show his gentle, quiet and loving personality. Poor Lion, left at home with Mystery, was really mad he couldn't go. Just to show how unhappy he was, he left me a little present on the floor that I discovered upon my return. He would never do this, just never soils the house. How they know about these things, I'll never know, but Lion is my normal Meet and Greet dog. I didn't want to take him yesterday, because of his sore shoulder. So, like a brat, he showed me in his way just how upset he was. Brat, brat, brat!!!

The purpose of the Meet and Greet is to showcase some of the foster dogs, raise awareness by answering question about the breed and raise a little money for the organization. We normally raise more awareness than money, but that's okay. We always have an abundant backlog of available greyhounds.

Here are some pics of the event:



Lorna..off the track 2 weeks is available! Isn't she a sweetheart?


Our booth at Petco



Strider...adopted last year

Sara Lee meets an Italian Greyhound shopping in the store.


McBride and Annie Wait to Greet Shoppers

Today, I hope to finish Russian Winter and start Darcy's Voyage by Kara Louise. It looks a bit overcast in Connecticut, but I'm happy for a quite reading day. Wizard is still shot from his long day at work yesterday, but I know he likes this job more than running after a bunny at a track. LOL

Hope you enjoy your Sunday! What are you planning for the day?

14 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

How funny about Lion! And who says dogs aren't smart?!!!

bermudaonion said...

What a great event. It breaks my heart that those beautiful creatures are used to race. I'm glad there are people, like you, working tirelessly for them.

Literary Feline said...

What a fun day! Poor Lion, being left behind. He sure showed you! LOL

I hope you have a great Sunday and are able to finish Russian Winter. After breakfast out with friends, I hope to settle in this afternoon and do a little reading myself. Enjoy your week!

Aisle B said...

Your puppies are beautiful! I realize they are beyond puppy stage but I call all dogs pups... term of endearment.

Iliana said...

Ambassa-dogs... how cute is that!

So did any get adopted? Hope some found some good families to go home to.

Enjoy your sunday!

Alyce said...

They look like gorgeous dogs! Too funny about the "present" you received! We have a yellow lab, and are committed to being a one dog family because we have our hands full with just one. We seem to be a magnet for stray cats though. We have two that we've adopted and that's our limit. The boys were so disappointed when a stray kitty showed up on our doorstep this week and I said we couldn't adopt it. Thankfully our neighbor is trying to find it a home. It was so precious!

Ti said...

My co-worker at work rescued two greyhounds herself. She swears by them and has had really good experiences with the breed.

Looks like you had a good time while making a difference. Nothing better than that.

wisteria said...

Rhapsody...He is very smart. They always amaze me with their intuition.

Bermuda...Yes, and thankfully many tracks are closing..but with it more dogs are looking for placement. It's a global issue believe it or not.

Literary Feline--Yes, he did show me. I guess I will cave and take him on the next event. I'm bad.
Hope you have a fun day. I thought I was going to read more, but my yard work consumed me. I'm beat.

wisteria said...

Aisle B--Thanks..yes I call them puppies too..or puppers. LOL

Iliana..We always take applications. No on the spot adoption since we match the dog to the family. However, the one in the pic was adopted by her foster family. They had to have her. So Lorna is now in a forever home. Yippee.

wisteria said...

Alyce...Labs are so amazing. You have a lot because you also have children. So great you have one!
I have no kids..other than my 350+ students. LOL

Ti..That's so great you know everything is good with your co-worker and her two. They are an easy breed..just can't let them run in the yard without a fence. Oops they'll take off in a heartbeat.

The Bookworm said...

sounds like a fun event! what cute greyhounds.
sounds like Lion and Diego have something in common! lol
Diego makes sure to leave me a little 'present' always after a vet visit, or after we get back from vacation or any kind of trip that requires he have a sitter...lol.

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

wisteria said...

Naida...That is funny...well maybe not funny when you walk in, but just thinking about what they are thinking. LOL

Darlene said...

Dogs are much smarter than people give them credit for. I always say mine must have gone to doggie college. Fantastic pics Wisteria! Greyhounds really are beautiful dogs.

Alice said...

This is a wonderful, wonderful post! I like how ambassa-dogs sound. These dogs are beautiful and that's really nice of you to help out!